Spring is officially here! And it’s the time to reward your car for enduring such a harsh winter. One thorough wash and all that remains of salt and grime is literally washed away.
You can now make space in your car for warmer weather items and take out the Twin Cities Automotive winter survival kit (ice scraper, 4 sets of gloves, chains, heavy boots and whatever else you needed) and store it until next season.
Now it’s time to get under the hood a little. Some preparation now will help ensure that your warm weather driving plans go as smoothly as you envision then now. And if your “check engine” light is on don’t ignore it!
- Have hard starts, rough idling, stalling, etc.corrected before extreme temps sets in.
- Flush and refill the cooling system (radiator) according to the service manual’s recommendations.
- Read the owner’s manual and follow the recommended service schedules.
- Level, condition, and concentration of the coolant should be checked periodically.
- Avoid jackrabbit starts
- Make sure you have the right amount of air pressure in your tires, including the spare. Always check tire pressure when the tires are cold.
- Have leaky tires fixed ASAP
- Change your air filter
- Get worn out spark plugs replaced
- Use high-quality synthetic motor oils change the oil and oil filter as specified in owner’s manual. (Properly dispose of used oil.)
- Inspect all lights and bulbs; replace burned out bulbs.
- Replace worn wiper blades and keep plenty of washer solvent on hand to combat summer’s dust and insects.
For any of these that you can’t do yourself give Auto Electric a call. 763.537.1221
Auto Electric & Full Service Auto Repair is a full-service auto electric repair company operating out of Minneapolis, Minnesota.